Friday 9 January 2009

Fantastic Force

Okay, so I didn't expect that there'd be Fantastic Four news this quickly, but there it is.

In the newest 'My Cup o' Joe', Joe Quesada talks about the new Fantastic Force and gives a script excerpt.  Nevertheless, yes, the new Fantastic Force bears NO relation to the original, for which we can all be thankful, and is instead the New Defenders team from the just-completed arc of Fantastic Four created by Millar. 

The series- presumably a miniseries- will be launching in April. It's written by Joe Ahearne, a British TV writer from Doctor Who, and drawn by Steve Kurth.

Personal thoughts? Well, I think the concept produced by Millar is a sound one, and it gives the team a unique selling point. Launching it so soon is a wise idea, and the name change also probably makes it more commercially viable- not that 'Fantastic Force' is likely to be a big seller, but it makes explicit the connection to the Four, which should help more than the Defenders name. (Plus, conveniently it frees Marvel up for the original Defenders to return in Hulk.)  The script makes it clear it will be dealing with NuWorld and the FF will be in it, which is also a good thing. 

On a creative note, Kurth's a decent penciller, but Ahearne... well, the fact that he's from TV makes me weary we're going to see poor research and a half-hearted story with ludicrous delays, as we have with lots of other TV writers. On the other hand, you know, Paul Cornell is pretty much irrefutable proof that some TV writers work brilliantly in comics, so hopefully the fact that Ahearne has also worked on Doctor Who is a good omen.  Most importantly though, on a selfish FF note, I'm glad to see books being launched out of concepts from Fantastic Four. Remember that? When the book introduced new ideas which spun off into their own books? When the FF was the great big creative melting pot of the Marvel Universe? If this is a sign of that again, I'm very happy indeed!

Anticipation Level: Cautiously Optimistic

I'll hopefully be putting up my thoughts and impressions on Fantastic Four #1 tomorrow- the issue that started it all!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't even care about a Fantastic Force series. Seriously, I've tried caring about Millar/Hitch's run on FF, but a spin off of a bad concept?

    Peh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, I just want some writer to come onboard that'll make me love the main FF title again. Fantastic Force doesn't interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Anon comment's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't realize it was another TV guy. Didn't Hitch have a job on the Dr Who show doing illustrations or layouts? I guess that's the connection. I agree with the Caution on this one. Maybe we'll see the third issue by year's end?

    I understand the desire to get experienced writers from other mediums, but I wonder if JQ sits down with these guys and tells them how it's done? I remember an old interview with a guy at Marvel who said when he got his first gig he was sat down in front of Jim Shooter and the big man vomited out more comic writing knowledge than he ever thought there could be. He said he learned more in 20 minutes from Shooter than he'd accumulated in his entire life up until then. these 'new to comics' guys need that kind of guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie- I dunno, I think it's a unique concept which just might work.

    Tricia- To each their own! I'll hop off myself if it's not too good, but I feel it's worth supporting the spin-out of any new concept with potential from FF!

    I agree, CC, but as I said, Cornell does give me hope. I don't watch Doctor Who, but I hear good things! And I'm always open to try new writers- as long as they can keep a schedule!

    I also don't think that Shooter's really who Joe Q wants to be looking to for inspiration. I mean, at least the talent seems to like Joe Q, whereas Shooter... well, not so much!

    ReplyDelete